Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 26, 2011 letter

Mi querido familia,
I miss you all so much. Not like I want to come home or anything, but I just miss you all. Reading all of your kind and inspiring words every week gives me so much strength to keep moving forward. Almost as much as the scriptures, (btw, make sure you're all reading your scriptures everyday. That is so much spiritual strenth you are missing out on EVERY DAY if you aren't!) I can't tell you how much comfort the scriptures give to me. The Book of Mormon, all of the Standard Works, Conference talks, Church magazines, Preach My Gospel. Wow, whenever I feel down or need help, I know I can always turn to these, my faithful friends. Most of all, to study the atonement.
Especially this week, has been a bit of a tough one. Well, honestly it has just been tough. Elder Alvarado and I just can't get along. I feel like I have tried everything, but I just can't figure out how to help him. He does not enjoy doing anything with me, and I can't seem to make him happy or satisfied with anything I do. I have been looking alot into the scriptures and Preach My Gospel for advice, and have found surprisingly much. I have read everything already, but when I read it looking to solve this certain problem, along with prayer, it seems like my spiritual eyes have really been opened. I have come to understand scriptures and words of the prophets that I have never understood so fully before. I have come to find so many answers to my problems, have come to find so much hope in that things can always get better. Elder Alvarado shared with me this week, that if he doesn't get along with somebody at first, then they never will. Because he is a persistent person and doesn't change. He meant to say that he is not two-faced. But while he was saying all of this to me, I felt so disanimated, so perplexed at how a person can look at a relationship like that. I was truly perplexed by it, that I shared it with one of my close friends, Elder Vasquez, this morning in our zone activity. He told me something that really struck me. That to say that there is no hope in these types of things, is to truly deny the power of the Atonement.

If we truly have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, in His sacrifice, in His love; then we know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. That there is always a way out of danger, always a way to receive forgiveness, it is always possible to become a better person. We came to this Earth with the purpose of trying our hardest to become like our Heavenly Father. Perfect. Like our Savior, Jesus Christ. Perfect. When we truly exercise our faith in Him, we can become like Him. We exercise faith in Jesus Christ through repenting of our sins, errors, and imperfections. Through being baptized, and receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost in the manner in which He commanded us. Through being obedient, through always staying true to these sacred covenants we have made with Him. I know that when we are obedient, when we obey His word, He will bless us. When we try to put our will in line with His, He will make all things possible for us. When we are truly devoted to living the gospel of Jesus Christ, He will open up all doors for us, and help us, even guide us, in our progression to become like Him.
I know without a doubt that this gospel, found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is the true and complete gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that He restored His church through the prophet Joseph Smith, and continues to direct His church through the prophet Thomas S. Monson this very day. When we are faithful, pray often, keep the commandments, and strive to become better, we can find so much more strength and guidance through way of the Holy Ghost's direction in our lives. I pray that we all can become better. That we do not give up. That we prove our faith in our Lord, Jesus Christ, and be examples of the believers.
I share this testimony of mine (as well as this not so great letter this week) with all of you in the hopes that we can all really become better. No matter how great we may think we are. I am trying to be better. ...And I do so in the sacred name of my Lord and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Amen.

P.s. I LOVE THIS HYMN (But it doesn't exist in the Spanish Hymnbook...)=
I love my sister for sharing it with me, I have never forgotten about it,
and it has given me so much strength in trying times.

Hymn #171 - With Humble Heart

With humble heart, I bow my head And think of thee, O Savior, Lord.
I take the water and the bread To show remembrance of thy word.
Help me remember, I implore, Thou gav'st thy life on Calvary,
That I might live forevermore And grow, dear Lord, to be like thee.

To be like thee! I lift my eyes From earth below toward heav'n above,
That I may learn from vaulted skies How I my worthiness can prove.

As I walk daily here on earth, Give me thy Spirit as I seek
A change of heart, another birth, And grow, dear Lord, to be like thee.
P.s.s. Attached are pictures of:
--Elder Vasquez and I with Samuel and Tomás (investigators)
--A map of all the oil platforms of the coast of Campeche, México
--Pictures of our house
..........And one demonstrating how my companion studies every day =[
..........(don't put that one on the blogsite hehe) thank you


No comments:

Post a Comment