Monday, October 17, 2011

Post on Reagan's birthday October 17th, 2011 Happy Birthday my youngest sister Reagan!


Querida familia mía,
Well, updates:
--The Family Chim Ko did not get baptized this week. Alejo, her husband, is still working on the oil platform and they want him to be here for their baptism. But this week he will for sure return.
--The weather has been crazy, so much rain! And they're saying a storm is coming in, but I'm not sure. We don't read newspapers or watch tv. For this reason, Alejo couldn't get off the platform, because of the weather =/
--This week I became a missionary. I was short one letter from home I guess, according to Hermano (brother) Heber. But now, I've got it. My 'Dear John' and everything to prove it! =D hahaha
--We spent all morning creating a pathway to Agustin's new house in the back of a marsh. His neighbors are crazy and block the pathway with old refrigerators and stuff, so we were working on clearing out trees and making a trail/bridge to his house with machetes, pallets, and stakes. I forgot to take pictures of us working, but I think Elder Ibarra has some.
  
 It was fun, but my shoes are filled with mud and who knows what else. I love Agustin so much, he was so happy to see us and work with us. Him and his wife are so strong, and have such great testimonies. It stinks that they're in another ward now.
Also, this week has been crazy fast. I can't even remember what happened. We ended yesterday with 20 lessons taught to inactives & less-actives. We've been focusing alot on reactivating those who are already members and cleaning up the branch directory. The Branch president, Pres Salazar and his counselors are all super willing to help us and do whatever they can to participate in the work here. Elder Ibarra and I have so much support right now, we're trying to figure out how to organize it all so that the branch missionaries and us can all work together often and effectively. We've started having meetings and training sessions every week with the members in which we train how to teach and share the gospel. Its going very well, and we've called 3 more couples to be missionaries too.
Oh my goodness, we have found too many escogidos to count these last two weeks! We've got many references of investigators from the branch that we are also working with, one from the Hna Domy. Their names are Lady and Roberto, and were neighbors with Hermana Domy and Hermano Ulises 4 years ago. We visited them this week, and got to know them so well. We started with a hymn, a prayer, and began to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Hermana Lady opened up to us, telling us how she is so happy we are here with them, that she feels so good and calmed to hear word we said. She said that they are looking for the thing that will help their family become united again, as their older daughter doesn't like talking with them, and their younger daughter is starting to follow.. In the end of the lesson, Hermano Roberto explained that everything sounded so familiar to him, and that he agrees with the message. We invited them to be baptized, and to bring their daughters to church with them. We're now doing all we can to help their daughters, and they are praying to know if they should be baptized. I know that God will answer their prayers, and help them to feel the importance and necessity of baptism in the true church of Jesus Christ.
There is so much evidence, it is impossible to deny once we come to familiarize ourselves with the gospel. ESPECIALLY the Book of Mormon. The greatest piece of evidence the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has to offer of its truthfulness. I have been reading the Liahona of October (Amazing by the way, everyone should have their own personal copy and read it ALL!) it helps me to understand the Book of Mormon more, and apply it in our teaching, contacts, and example every day.
Another escogido, Juan Carlos. Wow, I have never found an investigator so prepared. He's 19 years old, and is super good at soccer. When we contacted him in the street, he was walking away from the Obrera(where he lives). And we asked when we could visit him. He told us that we could follow him back to his house and teach him right then. So we did, and found out that he has been so well prepared by the Savior to receive this message. We taught him and his uncle, and gave Juan Carlos a Book of Mormon. We invited him to read 3 Nephi 27, and to pray. Upon returning two days later, he had read the chapter, and started reading from the beginning too. He was in 1 Nefi 5, and he retold us the story of Nephi returning to Jerusalem with his brothers for the plates and everything, with so much conviction and understanding! We focused on what the Book of Mormon teaches us, and left him with the invitation to be baptized. He accepted with no doubts. We asked him if he would like to see a baptismal service this week, and he said he had work,  but he would ask for time off to go. We returned two more days later, and he had already finished 1 Nephi, all of it. And received an answer that the Book of Mormon is true, that he is so animated when he reads it. And that he feels so much better every day at work and in home with this knowledge. I know the Lord prepares His children for the missionaries. He is preparing all of us to return in His presence.

I know without a doubt that going on my mission is the best decision I have ever made. I feel so much joy just being here in the service of the Lord. When I feel tired or spiritually drained, my Savior replaces these feelings with love, charity, and a burning passion to share these feelings with all others. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. It is evidence given to us that Joseph Smith was chosen by God to restore His true church on the Earth in these latter-days. I know without a doubt that He loves us, and is preparing us to be better persons with every moment that takes place in our lives. I feel tranquilidad and peace to know that He is guiding me always, and that I can receive power and spirituality when I am obedient, work hard, and love everyone. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet called of God. That his counselors and the 12 Apostles are also called of God, to guide us and help us understand His word and will for us, His beloved children. I know that I have the best family in the world (a little biased, I know) and that we will be together forever because of the ordinances performed in the holy temple. Most of all, I know that Christ loves me, that He lives, and that He wants every single one of His children to know of the true gospel. For we cannot be saved without it. Feast on the scriptures, live the gospel, love thy neighbor, and share this sweet message with all. This is the path to happiness. This is the path to eternal life.
I Love You All, Elder Knight



No comments:

Post a Comment